Super Fly Webstore

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Carp'n Crunch

I love carp. I spent many days as a young man chasing carp with a spin rod. As a fly fisherman the respect for these fish has grown beyond anything I ever thought possible. It was taught that they are a low end fish, a bottom feeder, a garbage fish...Nothing could be further from the truth. They are intelligent, spooky, extremely finicky and huge. They will have you reel screaming all the way into backing every time. If you think a Steelhead runs, you haven't seen anything yet. It's like fighting a freight train....This is a new fly created for the creek that I fish. "Carp'n Crunch"....Can't wait to toss these at some tailing "Poorman's Bones"....




Another fly that I tie...I call it my "Carp Dart"...It's tied using red squirrel and red fox tail. Tied Clouser style, the hook point rides up.



No box for carp, smallies or walleye is complete without some leeaches. This is my "Stripabou Leech"....Brown rabbit strip, black palmered marabou...a tone of movement and a little flash....This is also tied hook point up...

11 comments:

  1. good looking stuff Pat! Love the crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are freaking delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Pat... I have a couple of spots for you to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. I've never palmered marabou... that makes quite a bushy fly. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really nice. If you need someone to test them I have some carp at work that need to be harassed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome flies. that crunch would slay fish out on the Big C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried palmered marabou on some stealhead flies this morning and fell in love with the look and action! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to give the Crunch a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Works of art as usual. I will have to add the carp crunch to my growing list of carp flies to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. likin the carp'n crunch. ive been tying a nearly identical pattern for a few years and it works very well. a tiny conehead leech is also a great pattern to throw for them.

    ReplyDelete