Super Fly Webstore

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3-4-12...My Dad's first steel

Another trip to NY's Salmon River this weekend...We had a crew this time...My Dad, Dan the Wee Man, my brother Chris, Mark, Rusty Spinner, Ben and of course yours truly...

The day started off early and sunny....about 15 miles from the destination we encountered a blizzard...the temp also dropped significantly...to the tune of 25 degrees...


We found the water to be up, the water temp increased by 2 degrees and the sun played hide and go seek for the day....after the first hour of the trip, my waders started leaking and fished the day with an entire leg filled with 36 degree water....such is steel heading I suppose...

I managed to hook into a total of 6 fish....not one got landed...I saw backing 4 out of 6 runs....my hook set skills seemed to be lacking once again on this trip...this season has been a battle to land a fish...long distance release is the name of the game this year...hopefully when the warm water season begins that run of bad luck will come to an end...

RS and Ben...got on fish...as to be expected...A big thanks to these guys for letting my crew share their water claim....It is a prime spot for hooking into fish...

Mark Peterson...this man knows how to catch fish as well....He landed a pig of a buck towards midday...his only hookup for the day, but it was a beautiful catch to say the least...


My Brother and Dan were unable to get into fish this time round...It will happen eventually...This is a game of patience not numbers for sure...

The big news of the day...My Dad caught and landed his first Steelhead ever...not a monster, but a great start to any Steelhead to career....hopefully there will be many more to follow...




It's been great to watch my Dad, Dan and my Brother further develop their skills the last year...by the end of the day my Dad went from a basic roll cast to a single handed spey cast...everyone was mended well and began to get perfect drifts...the skills are now there...now we just cooperative fish to land on Dan and Chris' lines....soon enough...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, nothing like getting your pops on some fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was thrilled to see your father bring a fish to hand. Wish we had stuck around for Mark's buck (heck of a fish), but truthfully we were fried. Maybe next time we won't be such skirts ... or maybe you guys can hold down the water, and we'll bring the sandwiches ;)

    ReplyDelete