Super Fly Webstore

Sunday, December 5, 2010

12-05-10

With much deliberation we decided to rock out a day trip to the Salmon. The weather and the high water were the possible stopping points. This was a trip for my Dad's birthday with my younger brother....Discussing the pro's and con's of this first time adventure for the two of them...we decide to carry on after all....

The day began at the crack of 6am...21 degrees...snowing..darkness...Now at this point some people..."rational" people as they like to refer to themselves..would have gone back inside to a warm bed....these are the people that have never experienced a tug from a winter caught fish....A bend in the rod that extends through you to your feet....The screaming of a reel is an addictive sound indeed....The song of steel....

To Whitaker's...rent some gear....on our way....to the first area to get our groove on...


We fished several areas...I have to admit...it was cold...and it snowed the entire day....the river was close to empty of people...only the insane or obsessed were riding this ride...a few breaks were taken for those "I can't feel my toes moments"...Now when the upper fly zone is open and in swing with people...you don't get out of the spot you're in, if you are lucky enough to find a spot...because there are vultures circling ready to swoop down and grab your hold of the river...Thoughts enter your head like...well I do have ten toes, I can live with a few less....I hear they make good prostetics these days...anything to not leave "your" water...Luckily for us, the UFZ is closed, and we could warm our piggley wigglies...




Chris there are no steel head in the trees....


All three of us had hook ups....We all battled the elements bravely...Like angling warriors....



We feasted....


We fished some more.....
The drift....

The fight....

The reward...

...and yes...those are icicles hanging from my hand....

A great day on the water....A great Father and Sons outing....

5 comments:

  1. Cherish it brother. My dad is gone and I think about him every time I am on the water.

    The Average Joe Fisherman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out Saturday too. I stayed on the shore, and caught one small fish. Glad to hear you all hooked up and stayed safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post.
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys...a great day indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome trip you had! So jealous!!!
    (And the chow didnt look too bad either!)

    ReplyDelete