Super Fly Webstore

Sunday, April 10, 2011

4-10-11....a day of casting

My step father Phil and I decided to hit one of the local trout streams today. After spending the winter hooking up on Great Lakes Steel and Browns, the thought of catching little ten inch stockers was not all that exciting. We ventured out and about anyway. After printing a stream map, we decided on a stretch of water that neither of us had been on. We park illegally on the side of the highway, write a little note in the window explaining to law enforcement what we are doing and off we went. Scraping, tumbling and drudging our way through bushes, overgrown shrubbery, beaver chewed trees and water that was just a little to high for Phil's hip boots, we made it to a fishable bank. Fishing we were....I made my normal fly sacrifices to the river gods, the trees, the rocks and whatever else other then a fish that seemed to reach out and rip my fly off the line...No fish were hooked. We loaded back up and drove further down stream. We walked through a pasture, slightly damp cow crap mixed with run off mud and over flow debris greeted our arrival. We fished and fished....I hear out of nowhere...Holy crap...that's a fish...I turn to see Phil with a bent rod and a struggling fish approaching the bank. As I began to head over, never mind...he's off....haha....that's the way it goes...With a new found excitement due to the ridiculously big size of the fish, we continue on. I'm swinging a streamer, at the end of the swing a beast from the bottom comes up, takes a swipe at it and what do I do....I rip the fly straight from the fish's mouth....We fished for another couple of hours before tossing in the towel on trout for the day...A lesson learned though...There are big fish in there...

My insane desire to actually land a fish today lead us to a lake on the way home...half of it was still frozen, there were no fish to be found.

We parted ways after that...A great day...no fishy pictures to fill this post up with...

I ended my day catching up with two buddies and hitting a local swamp for some carping....Again....a failed attempt at hooking a fish today....

Total fly loss for the day...12....Time to hit the vice.....

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha ..we've all had days like that. Entertaining for those not directly involved though.

    ReplyDelete