Super Fly Webstore

Monday, September 12, 2011

9-12-11....Salmon

I never head up to the Ontario tribs this early in the year...I usually wait until there is much more of a mix in the river..Kings, Cohos, Browns and my beloved Steelhead...Usually around Columbus day weekend...

Today was a beautiful day and there was an early run of Kings and Cohos in the river...My Salmonoid chasing buddy Dustin went for a ride with me today....Well....we saw fish...there was a pod hanging in one of the deeper pools with a few stragglers mixed in the river in various locations...I swear these fish nes the limits of where we could fish...They were just on the other side of the closed sections...safely laughing at all of us for even trying....

It was not the run that was built up...Apparently upon asking around we were a day late and a dollar short...To say the fish present in the river were skittish would be an understatement...4lb flouro tippet was shyed away from like it was a piece of rope...The only guys that we saw hooking anything were rocking spin rods and more weight then my shoe would scale in at. I think I even saw one guy toss a grappling hook....The good news..DEC was out in force ripping guys off the river that were wrong doing...We also learned of an access point that I was not aware of...Good find for the day....

I managed to catch three Fall Fish...



which as I sit here and sip on a Guinness is quiet amusing really...2 hours and 20 minutes one way to catch minnows....The good news...Vladi worms work on Fall Fish....I did manage to take an early dunking in the river...I'm hoping that will be all for the season...I stepped on a rock, slipped and went head first into the SR...The good news..It's not November and the water was 69 degrees followed with an air temp of almost 80 today...refreshing really....

I think I will give it a few weeks before tackling this again....It really is my cold weather thing anyway....I had a weekend planned for big things, high fishing expectations...Pike on Sunday and Kings on Monday...I was unsuccessful on both accounts..but had some laughs during the pursuit....That's what it's all about...Head held high, reflect on what was learned and plan another one...

No comments:

Post a Comment