Super Fly Webstore

Friday, April 23, 2010

4-23-10

One of the struggles with fly fishing, especially fly fishing out of a kayak is the wind...If you use a sidearm cast, and a double haul, with a heavy enough fly rod, casting is workable. Now leaves the problem of doing battle with a kayak that seems to have a mind of it's own. Never fear, for there are choices....We can anchor, we can use a drift sock, we can brace against a fallen tree or large boulder....Or we can just let the current and wind have there way with us....Today was a day where there was no beating Mother Nature and here breath....My favorite smallmouth creek is still running about a foot or so high, and murky....Which naturally means the current is stronger then usual...The wind was so strong that it was blowing me and my yak upstream against the current....41 degrees, then the wind chill....Damn....Jack Frost and Mother Nature must be humping....because he hasn't left yet....I refused to go home without a fish in the boat....So 1 smallie it was....14 inches...Day complete....Home to a hot shower and cup of Joe.....Now off to make somebody's skin beautiful....

1 comment:

  1. Been there!! Last week it seemed the wind knew exactly where my boat was on the water at given time of the day. I would move from shore line to shore line and the wind would follow. Finally I anchored and fished with the wind until it turn against me and I had to repeat the whole process again.

    ReplyDelete